1 ¾ cup plain flour
100g butter, chopped
2/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
5 egg yolks
½ cup caster sugar
35g corn flour
½ cup (125ml) thickened cream
Poached Cherries and Berries
200g cherries, pitted
½ cup blueberries
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon icing sugar to dust
HOW TO COOK AND SERVE 😀
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
2. For pastry: place flour on a clean work surface and make a well in the centre. Place butter, icing sugar and salt in the well. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture forms a breadcrumb consistency.
3. Make another well in the centre and add eggs. Work the eggs into the mixture using fingertips until just combined. Bring together to form a dough and knead mixture until smooth. Roll into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. For creme patissiere: place milk into a large saucepan and stir in vanilla. Slowly bring to the boil over a low heat.
5. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl until pale. Add corn flour and whisk to combine. Gradually pour milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously. Transfer to same saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes or until thick. Place into a bowl and cover closely with cling film to prevent it forming a skin. Refrigerate until cool. Beat cream in small bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add 2-3 tablespoons to creme patissiere and fold until just combined.
6. For tart cases: roll out dough on a lightly floured work surface until 2–3mm thick. Cut out two 11cm rounds and use to line two 11cm fluted loose-base tart tins. Prick bases with a fork. Line each pastry case with baking paper and baking beans and blind bake for 10 minutes. Remove beans and paper and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
7. For poached cherries and berries: melt butter in a medium saucepan and add cherries, blueberries, sugar and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Strain into a bowl and pour syrup into a serving jug, reserving berries.
8. To serve, spoon ¼ cup of creme patissiere mixture into each tart shell. Decorate tops with soaked cherries and blueberries. Arrange on a serving plate with the jug of syrup and dust with icing sugar.